Agence Régionale pour l'Agriculture et l'Alimentation Regional Agency for Agriculture and Food Agência Regional da Agricultura e Alimentação
ECOWAS studied the feasibility of a Regional Food Security Reserve, intended only for emergency operations in case of a cyclical food crisis. The proposal of creation of the reserve was adopted by Ministers for Agriculture of West African States in September, 2012 then by the Heads of state of ECOWAS in February, 2013.
The proposed project aims at supporting ECOWAS in the implementation of its regional reserve strategy of food security, established on complementarity and subsidiarity between three lines of defence to deal with these repetitive food crises: proximity of stocks, national stocks, and finally a regional food security reserve to permit regional solidarity in case of a major food crisis.
The supporting institutions include:
- Project Client : ECOWAS through its various departments: Commission for Agriculture, Environment and Water Resources.
- Implementation: RAAF
- Operators of Implementation
- Support in setting up the Regional Food Security Reserve
- Support the national storage systems and their network
- Support local storage sysytems
- Support national information systems EGOAGRIS and Food and Nutrition Security surveys
- Support measures to help in decision making and cpacity building of RAAF
A Coordination Unit of the Program will be established for the support for the implementation of the 5 components of the program, and will work in coordination with the technical unit of the reserve management ( UTGR) within RAAF.
A steering committee will be set up to supervise and approve the general orientation and the line of action of the project, analyze the annual execution reports of and plan the upcoming activities, to contribute to the coordination of the various components of the project.
A follow-up technical committee will be organized to follow the activities closely and allow the agents in the office in Lomé (UTGR / RRSA, AECID, and OWED) and certain people in charge of Abuja, Niamey and Ouagadougou (AFD, AGRHYMET
The objective is to contribute in responding effectively to the food crises and to strengthen the impact on some households in the perspective of sustainable regional food security and sovereignty, through the promotion of emergency food reserve systems on different levels
To Support the implementation and governance of the regional food security reserve via three levels of defense mobilized to respond to food and nutritional crises:
- Component 1: support for the implementation of the regional food security reserve
- Component 2: support for national systems of storage and to network them ( RESOGEST)
- Component 3: support for proximity of system of storage
To Strengthen the informational plans food security and the vulnerability for quick and reliable aid to the decision, contributing to the independence and the efficiency of the management of the food reserves on local, national and regional scales.
- Component 4: support for the national information systems , for ECOAGRIS and for the enquiries on food and nutritional security
- Component 5: support for measures to aid with decision making and capacity building of RAAF
The funding agreement between the ECOWAS Commission and the EU has been already approved and signed in June, 2014. The contracts of delegation between the AFD and the AECID with the EU were also signed in July, 2014. Currently, the preparation of the MoU between these two operators ( AFD and AECID ) and the ECOWAS is in progress. There will be an object of a direct subsidy with CILSS / Agrhymet and a service contract will be established with the ECOWAS and the CRA / CILSS.